The declare: Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin met in DC on July 26
Former President Donald Trump returned to Washington, D.C. in late July, making his first look within the nation’s capital since leaving workplace in 2021. A Fb put up claimed Trump had a high-profile assembly with a controversial world chief throughout his transient go to.
“Breaking Information! Trump & Putin are assembly in DC at the moment!” learn the July 26 put up, which was shared greater than 250 occasions in someday.
Trump gave a speech to the America First Coverage Institute on July 26, however there aren’t any stories that Russian President Vladimir Putin was within the U.S. Putin’s final documented worldwide go to was to Iran, and a slew of U.S. sanctions in opposition to him in mild of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine make it unlikely he may or would come to the nation.
Comply with us on Fb!Like our web page to get updates all through the day on our newest debunks
USA TODAY reached out to the person who shared the declare for remark.
Putin’s final recognized U.S. go to was in 2015
Putin’s final recognized journey to the U.S. was in 2015, when he addressed the United Nations Basic Meeting in New York Metropolis.
The U.S. Treasury Division in February introduced sanctions in opposition to Putin, together with blocking any of his U.S. “property and pursuits in property,” following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
In Could, the Russian International Ministry introduced the nation was completely banning practically 1,000 Individuals from coming into its borders, together with President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris. Trump, who invited Putin to the White Home when he was in workplace, was not on the listing.
Reality test:False declare that Putin rescued 35,000 imprisoned Ukrainian youngsters
Days later, the White Home introduced additional measures designed to “flip Russia into a world monetary pariah,” which included focusing on Russian authorities officers and enterprise leaders in addition to limiting the Russian army’s capability to acquire U.S.-origin merchandise and applied sciences.
Based on the Kremlin’s web site, Putin’s most up-to-date overseas go to was to Iran on July 19. It marked Putin’s first journey overseas since the invasion of Ukraine, as reported by CNN.
Our score: False
Based mostly on our analysis, we fee FALSE the declare that Trump and Putin met in Washington, D.C. on July 26. Whereas Trump did give a speech within the nation’s capital that day, Putin’s final recognized journey overseas was to Iran. Present U.S. sanctions in opposition to him additionally make it unbelievable Putin would have come to the nation.
Our fact-check sources:
- USA TODAY, July 26, ‘They need to injury me’: Donald Trump takes intention at critics, Biden in return to Washington
- CNN, July 20, Putin arrives in Iran for first journey exterior former Soviet Union since his invasion of Ukraine
- The Kremlin, July 19, Journeys
- The White Home, June 2, FACT SHEET: United States Takes Additional Actions to Counter Sanctions Evasion by Russia
- USA TODAY, Could 22, Russia bans 963 Individuals from the nation together with Biden, Harris, Zuckerberg. However not Trump.
- U.S. Treasury, Feb. 25, U.S. Treasury Imposes Sanctions on Russian Federation President Vladimir Putin and Minister of International Affairs Sergei Lavrov
- Reuters, Oct. 26, 2018, White Home invitations Putin to Washington
- USA TODAY, Oct. 26, 2018, Trump administration invitations Putin to Washington for 2019 go to
- The Kremlin, Sept. 28, 2015, 70th session of the UN Basic Meeting
Thanks for supporting our journalism. You’ll be able to subscribe to our print version, ad-free app or digital newspaper duplicate right here.
Our fact-check work is supported partly by a grant from Fb.
Authentic creator –
Initially posted by – www.usatoday.com